Friday, May 4, 2012

A bouffant, a bomber, and a walker


walk into a bar
no seriously...

I drive through a very large, very diverse city on my way to work
I actually love this city,
There are beautiful old Spanish style homes
Great big mansions on the hill
Older, poorer neighborhoods nestled in between gorgeous 1920's Victorian homes
A small little downtown area where everything is in walking distance
Quaint older shops and dirty sleezy motels with hookers walking along the main highway
And the only traffic circle that seems to exist in SoCal

On this particular morning, I’m driving down a long stretch of the road
I look to my left and notice a 70ish looking woman with a I Love Lucy red bouffant and little twisty bun
She’s got on a pink v neck tank and a grey velour sweat suit and wedged flip flops of course
She’s walking along with an older man in a cap and a bomber jacket down the alleyway
It’s 7:40 in the morning and they’re pointing up at something on the building while discussing it
I look up at the sign and realize that they are at “Til 2am” bar

They must own the joint and are talking about the exterior that needs to be fixed, I’m thinking
I drive a few feet further
I see the even older guy sitting on the bench outside the joint like he’s the bouncer
Until I notice that he’s got his metal walker parked in front of him

I chuckle to myself

It’s 7am, and this their spot
As I’m getting older, I realize that you never really feel like you’re older
Of course you’re stressed
You deal with “adult” things
Work
Bills
Raising kids of your own
But deep down inside, when you’re hanging with friends
Or really enjoying life, you don’t feel any older than you did in your prime-
Whatever age that may be.

So go on with your bad self
Enjoy every moment of it!!
Big red bouffant and all


http://www.daysoffivelives.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Follow along through the fun and agony as we try to figure out how to raise two completely opposite teenagers- Teen 1, the fiesty yet inquisitive one, Teen 2 quiet but wise-cracking and our ball full of energy known as The Boy. It aint always pretty, but we’ll sure try to make the best of it!
These are the stories of our lives…